Thursday, June 5, 2008

Commuter Girls Just Wanna have Fuuu-uun!

Oh blogosphere, blogosphere – where art thou???

Ok… so it’s been an eternity since I’ve blogged. I never even finished up on my Gulf Coast series! :-/ I really have no excuse except that I’ve felt extremely busy & overwhelmed lately. The evening air outside on my deck feels so good I can’t convince myself to touch the laptop…. I just want to soak it up. I’m sure you have all followed Lana’s blog on her awesome performance at Gulf Coast…. And my relay team’s shocking 4th place finish! Tim, Lee & Kevin rocked it out also! This race was a freakin blast!!!! Combine beach, cool people & swim/bike/run and you will never go wrong!!!

I’ve stayed pretty consistent with my workouts since then. Averaging probably 15-20miles per week of running along with 1 or 2 road rides per week. Last Sunday there was a group of 5 of us that did 61.3 miles. This was from Manchester, to Wartrace, to Bell Buckle, to Beach Grove, climbing Noah hill….. then on back to Manchester. It was me, K, Lana, Kevin & Don. I’ve managed to also get in a couple of kayaking adventures. Both times floating the Duck River. Briar and I floated on the Sunday of Memorial day. It was a lot of fun until a terrible thunderstorm set in. Also, Jamie & I paid a visit to Fayetteville over the holiday weekend to hang out with Jeramy and Bethany & the rest of Lincoln County at a huge shin-dig! Then last Saturday, K & I floated the same Duck River and made it all the way to the mill! We saw a snake!!!!!! I found myself immediately wanting out of that river.

I didn’t exercise Monday due to the 60 mile ride the day before. Tuesday I ran 5 miles before work, and yesterday Lana and I commuted to & from work on our road bikes! It was fantastic! We just kinda cruised and didn’t really push it. Relaxing for a change! We took 2 different routes. Going home we had a more difficult and longer ride by Normandy Lake. I ended up with 42 miles for the day & saved probably about $7 in fuel costs!

This morning I ran 6 miles at 6am. Whew! It was hot out there!!! But I’ll take that any day over the cold.

This weekend is the famous Mach Tenn Triathlon. Also, another big weekend for K! The Oak Mountain xTerra off-road triathlon in Pelham, AL. I am excited about cheering everyone on!!!

3 comments:

Jill Ann said...

Welcome back. I have missed your blogging girl!!

Hey, who is the red head in the pictures? Is it Bethany Cagle? I went to UT with her...sure looks like her. (Email me and let me know jill.mongene@comcast.net)

You and I should get together to be "cheerpa's" (instead of Sherpa) at IM FL...we can party, party and then party some more. I am ALL about the beer tent...!!!

Let me know next time you guys ride also. I'll be at Moon Pie and Staggerwing this year.

Nice to read your back amongst us....

:) said...

I wish I could commute by bike... :(

Emily said...

Hello! I'm an American coming home from The Netherlands where there's bike paths everywhere and I'm thinking of riding bikes to the nearby school with my 8 yr-old girl and 4-yr old in the wagon or bike seat till he learns how to ride. We'll be living in Manchester and I guess I just wanted to ask your advice or opinion on riding -with kids- on a stretch of Woodbury Highway to get to school in the mornings! I always lived in cities with bike routes or rode on the side of the road of course as a single bike commuter. If you have any thoughts I'd love your input! Thanks for sharing on your blog, Emily