Friday, February 8, 2008

Personal Record - BROKEN! :-)

"The mind learns the body can go at least a bit farther even though it feels increasingly uncomfortable." - Pritkin

I did it!!! I went further than ever before! I never thought I'd see the day I'd attempt anything longer than a half marathon. But today, February 9, 2007 starting at approximately 4:20am and finishing at 6:30-ish was the day! I met Lana at the rec center at 4:17am temp was 38 degrees, only to hear a hard-core chest cough she had. I wasn't so sure she should attempt it. It seems like she never lets anything stop her? Wish I had that in me! If I heard myself cough like that, I would STILL be laying in bed. We snapped a quick picture, strapped on our fuel belts and took off.


We ran to interstate drive and took a right. Ran all the way to the main intersection, where we took a left. We took a right on Jackson St (Food Lion), a right on Parks Street (United Regional hospital - or "Old hospital" as most often referred to) a right back onto McArthur, straight through the main intersection. We hit the greenway, ran a couple of laps around the parking lot until Mike got there. Mike has announced that he will be running for state senate. He met us at 5:30 to run the last 7. We waited around for 2-3 min while he got ready and we took off again for the 2nd half of my longest run ever :-) I was feeling great. This run seemed like CAKE compared to the 12 miles in 13 degrees at an 8:35 pace. I made comments on how "comfortable" I felt compared to how numb and cold my face was 2 weeks ago! So, on our second half of the run Lana's chest issues got worse and she started feeling bad. I felt horrible for her... I really can't imagine what it must have been like. I know she was not up to par because she stopped talking and once I turned around at mile 11 and looked at her and her eyes were completely shut. I said "You ok Lan????" She responded with "I'm here." We pushed on and finally finished. Total time was 2:12 for a 9:25 pace. Much slower than normal, but we did have that 2-3 minute lag of time in the rec parking lot so that accounts for some of the lost time.


"Anybody can do just about anything with himself that he really wants to and makes his mind to do. We are capable of greater than we realize."
- Norman Vincent Peale


I am THRILLED that I went longer. And I felt stronger! That's great for the confidence. My knee never hurt me the first time.... until I drove home and got out of my car. I did think it might explode!!! I came home and took a hot bath, thawed my hair out and got ready for work. We have a safety standown meeting at 12:30 and OMG...... will I EVER make it through it without falling asleep? That may be more challenging than the 14 mile run!

Tomorrow Lana & I have plans to go do the Women's Beginner pre-race ride at Chickasaw Trace mountain bike park, then to Jamie's to take showers and get ready for the GRAND 'OL OPRY! It is at the Ryman this weekend and the Ryman is my favorite upright structure in the world. After the Opry if we have anything left in us we may hit the BIG BANG - piano bar across the street! I am SO excited! I have such a good sister! Now, Lana, GO TO THE DOCTOR! :-)

Week 5 is complete. 11 more weeks until CMM. I logged 25 miles and a Suffer-O-Rama trainer ride for this week... and 2 laps of Chickasaw Trace if all goes well tomorrow!

Goodluck to Tim, Lee, Heather, & Michele this weekend in Birmingham! Those hills are only as bad as you perceive them. Hang in there guys! I'm looking forward to seeing some great results. You can DO IT!!!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I hope Lana gets to feeling better so you guys can have fun this weekend.

Great job on the run & I hope your knee gets better. Glad it held out.

Bethany said...

Look at those sexy fuel belts ;) How did it feel running in that thing? You did great today! Have fun this weekend :)

Michele said...

AWESOME!!! Congrats on the new distance and feeling good doing it.

Thanks for the shout out.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

I have the splits for our run - I'll get them to you tomorrow.

Great job on the run - you were VERY strong!