Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sweet..... or not so sweet 16

My knee has given me fits all week. Not the injured knee from the skiing accident, but the knee I smashed last Saturday in a mountain bike crash. It's still swollen, extremely tender, scabbed over and blue-ish, red and I'm having problems with it being really stiff. When I sit at my desk at work and don't move it for awhile it literally will not bend. When I have it straightened out and try to bend it, it doesn't want to do that either. This week I ran 4 Monday morning before work - it hurt very very badly - right around mile 2 if I woulda had my phone, I woulda been waking someone up to come pick me up! Tuesday it seemed to feel some better so Tues night I went to the rec and ran 5. At mile 2, it was excrucitating pain. So I stay off it the rest of the week. No trainer - nothing - until yesterday. I had 16 on my schedule for my long run. So I reported to work early and left around 3-ish to do 16 miles in Tullahoma. Mile 1, I can feel a twinge of pain in the knee. Mile 2 - still feeling it. Mile 3 - hmm... still there but this is tolerable. If it doesn't get much worse I think I'll be ok. Mile 8 I climb a hill on Carter Blake road that really set me into a fit. I took a shot block & drank more water out of my fuel belt. So I gutted out the last 8 miles probably in the most pain ever. I was running right around sub 8:30 miles until I hit mile 13 - the pace dropped to around 9:10 I think.... mile 14 - I died. I look at the garmin - PACE-10:36. OUCH!!! My body is not wanting to go forward. PUSH, Holly PUSH. You are too close to stop now. Meet our goal!!! OMG... Outta gas. DEAD LEGS. That was the point where I'm saying "pick up your right foot, now scoot your left foot" and I felt like I was shuffling out the last 2 miles and every part of my body was shot - gone! I completely broke down at mile 14 - I think that's the first time I've ever really experienced a true breakdown where I didn't think I could make it. Pure misery after mile 13. I really did not expect to feel like that until I did an 18 miler.... but I was wrong. Total time: 2:23:55 - 8:59 pace. I am not as strong as I thought - the 16 miler was a whole different ballgame. How will I EVER add 10 more to that? I don't see it. Even 1 more woulda been outta the question. I think I'm going to start trying some GU.

My knee is in a pittiful shape today. It hurt for even a blanket to touch it last night in bed. I'm taking ibuprofen which seems to take the edge off.... but the tenderness and stiffness is indescribable right now. How do I handle this for this week's training?

So, I've noticed a trend. After every long run (12 or more) I have flu-like/stomach virus symptoms for approximately 3 hours afterwards. We are talking.... cold chills, almost as if I'm running a fever. Extreme stomach and digestive issues and can't decide if it's going to come out of one end... or the other. It really sucks because I am SHOT for pretty much an entire day when I do a long-run. This time I even forced half a blueberry muffin down when I got home to try and avoid the sick feeling. I did not feel any better until I got up this morning. Anyone have any advice or suggestions? Am I dehydrating myself and it's causing nausea? What am I doing wrong?

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Are you sure the knee is not infected? I fell on the broken asphalt once on country club drive in the dark. My knee bled like crazy and scabbed over. Days later, it felt stiff and it hurt to bend it. Without grossing you out, YES, it was infected.

Stomach issues...what are you eating before you run, the day before you run, etc?

I would be proud of that pace, girl. You are tough.

Anonymous said...

Don't sacrifice long term goals for short term goals....Give your knee sometime to heal.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

That's a good job on the 16. You need more calories, though. But we already talked about that. Gatorade, next time, at the very least.

Rae said...

Ouch!!! Give that knee some rest....and maybe lay off the mtn biking until after April. =( We had to give up indoor rock climbing during 'thon training and it stank but it was better than bashing my knees on the wall all the time.

I have similar stomach issues (a really upset stomach) at times after a long run. Make sure you drink plenty of Gatorade during (i dilute my 50/50 due to a weak running stomach) and I eat 2-3 CliffBloks every 5-6 miles. Right after a long run I just can't eat, but I try to drink some soda and grab a cookie or some chips. I'm not a big soda person (or junk food person) but for some reason it helps my stomach because I can't even stand to eat a banana or any of the normal good stuff right after!!! Even looking at some at that stuff after a race makes me nearly sick!!! I don't get it and it can be a real pain so I completely understand your frustrations!!!!