Saturday, February 16, 2008

Zen in the air... and over the handlebars!!! :-/

Today was an awesome day for mountain biking. K & I met Brent and Jason at the AEDC mountain bike trails at 8am this morning. It was so much fun. I felt a lot better about riding today after riding last Saturday at Chickasaw Trace with Lana, and 2 new friends Mandy and Angela. Wow, this was such a fun day. After Chickasaw we went to PF Changs. After stuffing our faces we headed for the Grand Ol Opry.... excellent as always. Then onto the STAGE :-) I always have fun in there.
Angela taught us about riding with "zen," - control and flowing with a mountain bike where no wheel can be placed wrong. I was very relaxed today - for the first time ever. K & Brent are super fast... so I knew keeping up with them was outta the question. This was Jason's second ride ever, and he gave me all I could handle. Impressive! :-) We did the hard section first by taking a right and doing most of the hills. The trail was in excellent shape!! It's being ridden more this year and that makes it easier on all of us. I had 2 major crashes. 1) I was heading down hill with lots of sliding rocks and met Bob Alt head on, got a little distracted, started sliding, tried to unclip and I am really not sure what happened but my bike went down with a vengeance! Ouch my left knee (the only healthy one left) slammed on a sharp rock and OMG - PAIN. PAIN and the PAIN increased. I sersiouly felt like I was going to puke everywhere. The guys wanted to stand around and wait for me to recover but OMG - I really wanted everything and everyone away from me. I was scared to look through my cold gear, so after about 1 minute or so I jumped up and took off again. It looks like my knee has been hit with a sledge hammer. Skin is broken but that's not the bad part - it's the huge knot on it and I'm having trouble bending it. As I type, I am icing it. :-/ It is scary looking - like there's a small plum sitting on my knee cap. 2) K & I had just climbed our last major hill. I was on his back wheel like white on rice - getting a little too frisky. Just as I was about to make a snide comment, his brakes slam (brake check to the MAX!) to make a turn, I SLAM my front brake and my snide comment was called to heaven. I ate his back wheel, somehow he survived with no crash and I felt myself flipping in the air. WHEEEEEEE!!!!! - front flip over the handlebars. All I could see was my beautiful blue mountain bike flipping over me and I gracefully landed on the right front of my head. Thank God for a helmet. My head took a blow like never before and I saw major stars and felt extremely discombobulated. This was just short of 5 minutes of when Brent showed us how to jump a huge log - where he "ZEN-fully" flipped over his bars and body-planted into the ground. OUCH!!!!! These were some true kodak moments.... that I failed to capture :-/ Here are some pictures of our ride that I did manage to snap though.










4 comments:

Lisa said...

Take a pic of that knee and post it. The whole thing sounds frightening to a non biker like me. :P

Di said...

NICE!!!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Did you ride over that big tree trunk too? Did they all clear it without falling? That looks scary!

Lance Notstrong said...

Is that an appletini you're drinking? :-)