Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"Courage is being afraid but going on anyhow." ~Dan Rather



Courage... that's what I saw in my mother's eyes today. My heart cried with my sweet momma today as she was faced with fighting a battle.

Kathy Diane Matthews vs Fear.

My mom has been in excruciating pain since February 12 with bulging discs in her neck - C5/C6 & C6/C7. She has struggled through physical pain in her neck, arms and hands as well as weariness, fatigue, and most of all - fear. Today was the day that was set to take care of this problem. That's a good thing. The end is in sight. However, does it get much scarier than someone poking around on your spinal cord? We arrived at the hospital at 6am. Me, Lana and my aunt Dana. About 15 minutes after my mom and dad. When we walked in, my eyes met my mom's eyes. She's scared. I would have gladly taken her place. Seeing my momma scared hurts me. I looked at my Daddy. Daddy's nervous. I bet we hadn't been there 5 minutes and they called her back to prep her for surgery. What?? So soon? I want to sit with her. I want to talk with her and tell her how strong I know she is. "Sorry folks... we just need the patient." LUMP in my throat. As I heard those double doors slam behind her, I wept inside of me. "I want to do it for her. That's my momma & she's scared. Please be good to her. Don't leave her alone in there. She's scared. I'm scared." I looked at my watch. Lana and my dad went back to be with her for a few minutes. Our youth minister had a prayer with her.

Kathy Diane Matthews WINS!

Soon it was time for them to take her to surgery & they weren't allowing anymore family members back. 9:17am to be exact. Those minutes ticked by slowly as I silently prayed for God to hold her. Right around 9:25 we get the call - "Matthews family??" That's us. I jump up - anxious to hear that things are well. The doctor informs us the surgery went well & everything looks good. My heart leaped for joy! She was very scared about nausea after the surgery. This is something we had spent a lot of time praying about. I had personally pleaded with God to not allow this! God is good. God answered that prayer (and many others!) & she did not have to deal with after surgery nausea!! It wasn't long until she was walking, talking, laughing & once again... reaffirming how blessed she is. And once again... I am reminded of how truly blessed I am to have her. She is so courageous, so strong. Such an awesome example to me. She did it! Now we are on the road to recovery & I am excited about that!!! There will be struggles, pain and weakness, but with her courage and determination it is merely just one more bridge to cross. If anybody can do it, SHE can :-)



I couldn't help but to be reminded of the Celine Dion song "Because you Loved Me." This song has always reminded me of my mom. Her love for me is as deep as I've ever seen or felt any love. I am not worthy of it at all, but there is nothing I could do to make her stop loving me. There's just one place that kind of love comes from.... our God. On the same token, my love for her is indescribable. I just hope that in the upcoming weeks I can be there for her as she has continuously done for me.

If you have a moment, view the music video below and celebrate with me for what Jesus did for us so that we can experience moments of courage, truth & love like I have felt today & everyday with my mom.


5 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so glad it went well. You guys are such good daughters. :)

TriSonq said...

You have such a strong faith and deep love and appreciation of your mother.

Glad to hear everything went well.

Christine said...

I'm so glad everything went well. Surgery is very scary. I end up being pretty numb to it since it is my job everyday, but I love when the family says a prayer together before surgery when I'm still in the room. They often pray for the doctors and nurses taking care of their family member..and that's when I'm reminded that I have someone's family in my hands. I hope your Mommy has a speedy recovery!

Phil said...

Best of luck to your mom.

Lisa said...

how was your chickasaw race???