Monday, March 17, 2008

Gaining strenth... but it's not gonna be enough

I wanted to run long (long for me) on Saturday but everytime I'd go to get dressed, I would hear more thunder. So finally after 3 attempts I gave up, took a shower and K & I headed to N'ville to Cumberland Transit and then to J Alexander's for dinner. So that left it for Sunday afternoon. Ugh... I really do not like to waste a serene Sunday in my running shoes. I like being lazy on Sundays. I strike out from the middle school, out to Lincoln street for a royal trail loop, then around Heritage Place, right on Oak Drive and back through hwy 41 and hwy 55..... hoping this made-up loop in my head will be somewhere close to 10 miles. I was a bit short - however, very satisfied with my effort and distance. I had that tight/dead feeling in my legs so I figured I had pushed enough and when I got back to my car, I was at 8.5 and I called it a day.

I see that I am not going to reach my goal for CMM. So I am just going to do the best I can do and mainly try to enjoy the marathon. I am hoping I can run long this weekend.... we will see. I am having to be really cautious with my knees. I am also trying to incorporate biking into this marathon schedule because I am included on a relay team for the Gulf Coast half ironman on May 5.... and I'm the biker chik :-) So that is a 56 mile bike ride.... without much time for preparation. I am also craving to race at the Chickasaw Trace Classic mtn bike race on March 30. Seems like the last 2 weekends have been covered with rain and I'm not able to go to the trail and learn it. Not sure if that will be a sucess either. But I have goals - and even though I may not perform to the best of my abilities - on those days -- I'll do all I can do, and it will be my first for both a mtn bike race and a marathon. I'm ok with that. I don't get real caught up in trying to break a record or being number 1, 2, or 3. I like to enjoy myself more than being on a podium. Especially when it's my first attempt at something. So... all of that to say I ran 8.5 miles yesterday in 1:14. I think that is somewhere around an 8:42 pace.

Last Thursday Lana and I rode the 13.5 mile mountain bike trail at AEDC. Boy was that a fun ride!!! Total ride time: 1:34 averaging 8.6mph That is a PR for me! Yay!

2 comments:

Christine said...

Keep your head up! You still got lots of time before the CMM! For me unfortunately...the atlanta marathon is in 2 weeks and I never reached my long run goal. But I guess when you only started running 3 months ago..theres not much else you can do. hah. You will kick the trail rides butt!

Lance Notstrong said...

It's been raining alot here too. Makes training (outside) tough :-(