Monday, March 3, 2008

"The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash." ~Julie Furtado

Sunday was beautiful -- in every definition of beauty. There is nothing more peaceful and liberating than when the seasons begin to change. 70 degrees and breezy. I caught myself sitting out on my deck at 10am with a simple bottle of water, a tank top and an old pair of shorts soaking it up. If there had been any dandilions in my yard, I would have pretended to be a little girl and picked them. That's how excited I was over this weather! I felt intoxicated by the sunshine. No sunglasses, no sun block, no pony-tail holder... I wanted to take as much in as possible. Wonderful way to start the day--besides not going to church. I do believe there are times when one can commune with God just as easily or easier in the presence of no one but himself. Surrounded in the pureness of his creation with nothing to distract. It was nice.

K picked me up at 1:30 and we headed to Chickasaw Trace mountain bike trails! It takes an hour 15 from my house. We pulled into the park and saw my zenful buddies - Jamie, Abby, & Angela! They had just finished a lap and they were chilling out! We hit the trail around 3:00. I am terrible at this first section - it's probably 1/3 of a mile or less and it freaks me out. I have never even attempted to ride it. I get off my bike in anticipation of this section. I started pushing -- and I started pushing before it even required a push! I wipmed out. Just looking at that section was enough for me to bail... K thinks if I would not think about it so much and pick my line, I could glide right through it. Hmmm.... I don't think I have enough testosterone in me to try it though! This hurt my mph average - Pushing at 2-3mph for quite a ways hurts when you're trying to average close to 9 on a climbing trail. Even though I didn't make EVERY single section -- (I pushed here and one section at mile 8 on the black hills part that's pretty technical)-- I did make it through many more sections than I even attempted last time. Which is just enough to make me want to go back for more.

I think I feed off of the least amount of progress. I love getting better at things. Whether it's work-related, fitness level, skill level or whatever -- if I can see the slightest bit of improvement, I crave a little more! I just knew I could not make the longest climb on the course. I have made 2 failed attempts at it in the past. This time K climbed it and I watched intensely so that I could follow his line. Then he came back down to climb it again behind me!!! Brave soul!! I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to me on a technical climb, especially when my confidence level is near zero! But I took off in my next to easiest gear on the back, but still in the middle ring on the front to create a little resistance since I was standing. I dodged the roots on the left, then I dodged the roots on the right which allowed me to keep my speed up just enough to stay clipped in and barely moving. When I finally fought my way to the top (which seemed like eternity) I jumped off the Tassajara, laid her down, and I joined her flat on my bike! Total WUSS! My chest was exploding to the max looking for oxygen and my legs were shaking incontrollably! What a sight!!!! Pure exhaustion!!!! There were several other sections that I was successful on for the first time. Some of them I would look at it and think "You're going down Holly. You realize that. Just DO IT. At least try it. All you can do is just pedal hard and try to pick the most sensible line and do not slow down no matter what or the obstacles will crash you! Pedal, my friend -- PEDAL!!" It was a great feeling and just 1 lap of 8.11 was enough for me. I was SPENT!!!! My clothes were soaked! This was the toughest 8 miles I've ever done. I am dissapointed in my time though - 1:04. That is not what I was hoping for. I was hoping for closer to 1:00 even. Regardless, I am pleased because my effort level stepped up a notch and my confidence is building by leaps and bounds. Even though I am no where near a competitive race pace or skill level, I am making progress. And most of all -- I am having fun. And having fun is really what it's all about :-) Oh... and I almost forgot. No CRASHES!!!! YAY!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You guys ever do Mountain Bike races? Oh I hear they are so challenging!