Monday, April 7, 2008

Black Betty Hits the Road!

This beautiful 72 degree weather called for my first road ride of the year! And boy did we break it in nicely! :-) Black Betty whispered in my ear the other day and said "Hey Jane... I need some fresh air. Can we get our pedal on?" So today was her day :-) We met Lana & Miss QR at her work parking lot around 11:30 and headed out to do part of the Staggerwing du course, and added a nice couple of climbs (Brinkley and Ledford Mill) to complete a total of 22.4 miles. I think John Brinkley rolled over in his grave when he heard the vulgarities coming from my throat as I GASPED for air climbing his steep 4 letter word hill. Talk about some burning! Lungs and Legs!!!! I even got desperate and tapped my gears to see if another easy one would miraculously kick in. It didn't. So I cranked on... without much choice. The entire ride took just a little less than 1:20. It was a wonderful wonderful wonderful ride!!! I expected to feel bad thinking that Black Betty would be hard on me today... but she cooperated well! I felt a bit stronger than I expected and I was able to get in some good beginner practice for those slick little aerobars I added! Still not hardly able to hammer as often as Lana.... but that's ok. That makes me work harder! Which in turn - makes me a better, stronger rider. Check her out as we cruised down some of the most beautiful rural land ever!!

As I blog, I am icing my hip flexor that's been giving me fits for a couple of weeks. I'm hurting all night long now and even just walking is bothering me. Why so many injuries? Not enough stretching again?

I found this new video for my sidebar. I thought it added a nice kick since I've brought Black Betty out of hybernation and off her trainer for a fun-filled season which hopefully includes a century ride this fall!!! I have to admit this song plays over and over in my head when I ride. LOL.

1 comment:

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

great blog..love the pics!