Sunday, April 13, 2008

Vingt!

Yep! That's right! Twenty = Vingt in French. I finished off my week and my marathon training (minus taper) with a vingt miler. Ouch. And yes I know it's a little late in the game to try and catch up with a 20-miler. However, I did it for the mental aspect of training more than anything. My body was cursing my mind at mile ten. Ummm... that's a little early. I was only halfway there at mile 10??? My legs were DEAD. I went trail running Thursday evening since the winds were so brutal. I did a 6 mile trail run in 53:30 for a 9:15 pace. I have never trail run that fast. It makes the outside of my calves, shins and ankles really sore from where the trail is sloped and I'm constantly stepping on obstacles. Tuesday I did a 5 mile run during my lunch break. So... I'm just not sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing because this 20-miler hurt me. It sucks to hurt for 10 miles. Here's what I did as far as fluid intake. Mile 5, 4 oz of water. Mile 7, 4 oz of water. Mile 10, 4 oz of gatorade endurance formula & a 1 minute speed walk. Mile 12, 4 oz of water. Mile 12.5, Powerbar Gel caramel flavor chased with 3 oz of water. This was my first gel. I was nervous it would make me sick, but it didn't. Actually right around mile 13, I think it pumped a little bit of life into me. I felt better until I hit mile 15... hmmm... didn't last long. Mile 16 my legs are TOAST!!!! And numb! I guess I can expect to feel this way at mile 16 since my last 3 long runs have felt as if I was in bonk territory at mile 16. Mile 16, 4 oz of water. Mile 18, 4 oz of gatorade endurance formula. Miles 17.5-20 were sheer shuffling/scooting/pain/this garmin WILL NOT hurry up and hit 20. I would be convinced I had run at least a half mile only to find that it was only .20 of a mile. I ended up finishing with a total time of 3:08:50 - which is a lame 9:26 pace.

I'm really not sure if I should be proud of myself for actually doing a vingt-miler or if I should accept the fact that I am obviously NOT trained for this race. I should not be in extreme pain at mile 16, and have 10 more to go on race day. I've always thought extreme pain should not occur until you are within 3-5 miles of your finish. I once again have found an unreal amount of respect for marathon finishers. There have been times when I tried to imagine how they must feel on the last 1/4 of the race. I think I have no idea and can't really imagine how painful it is going to be for me. I wish I were trained better, but guess what. I'm not. And it's past time for my taper.No more long runs allowed. Rest is the only thing on my side at this point (thank God) and I will have to accept the results of an untrained marathon finish. Where I'm at -- is just where I'm at. And it's not pretty. It's not the ideal level I was hoping for. My whole body is sore and tight today and I was a bit sick yesterday afternoon until I ate dinner last night. That same flu/stomach issues/headache/dehydrated feeling. I am better today!!! I am thankful that I completed a 20 miler, even though it did not feel like a strong one. I pushed on when I didn't think I could. So if nothing else.... at least I know what to expect up until mile 20... and I'll kinda know what it's like to shuffle my legs when they are dead. Until Apr 26 - I am ready to soak up that taper :-) And I am all smiles when I say that :-)

8 comments:

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

There's nothing lame about a 20 miler at a 9:26 pace, missy. Nothing at all. Great job getting it done. Enjoy the taper and take in plenty of fluids - you are going to do great!

Christine said...

9:26 is supafly! you still got 5 miles on me as far as training goes (and a few years of running experience)for that marathon...so I think you are all set to rock it out. Just go with that "do not quit" attitude and take it one mile at a time. Don't think about what you have left...think about what you have done. Once you hit the half..you will be so pumped..and then just focus on getting to 20. You know how to do that..you've done it before. After that...its a 6 mile run like you've done for years. Once youve done 20..whats 6 more? Even if you are shufflin! I can't wait to hear how it goes..I know you are going to totally rock it out and become addicted. Good luck girly...rest up..and eat up!

Bill said...

Excellent! 9:26 is definitely not a lame pace.

Enjoy the CMM. I'll be out there suffering along with you, somewhere amongst the gazillion others...

Anonymous said...

You will do great...just enjoy the day.

Lisa said...

I agree with Lana, that's a GREAT 20 mile training run! You go girl.

Bethany said...

I knew you had it in you! Way to go HJ!

Michele said...

9:26 pace on a long run is GREAT in my book.
You are going to do awesome.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.