Tuesday, November 18, 2008

3 Sports?

Ok so now that I have challenged myself to get in the pool, I now see how cumbersome it is to try and fit in all 3 sports. Throw in a small amount of toning, and you've got your plate totally full and you feel like nothing but a gym rat. Last week went fabulous - well, most of it - here's the breakdown.

Sunday - Holly Jane's first official swim. 1 hour, 10 minutes. Or whatever you might want to label it... lol. I got in the freakin pool and that's a huge start! :-) I'll be honest. It isn't fun. I swallowed so much water, I almost didn't make it home in time to pee.

Monday - I ran 5 miles with Lana during our lunch hour.

Tuesday - Got up at 5:15am and headed to the rec. I ran 4 miles on the TM, lifted a few upper body weights (very light) and jumped back in the pool. 30 minutes. Splish-splash there I go. LOL. I really need to get someone to video this - no doubt it's terribly comical. I'm way out of my comfort zone. Then I met Bethany that evening at Starbucks for some training chit-chat & a simmering drink that warmed our souls. Good times!

Wednesday - Got up at 6am for an early morning 50 minute trainer ride (first trainer ride of the year) plus 60 lunges. Trying to tone the tush tush..... running just doesn't do it. Trainer rides are good. They induce more sweating out of me than any other workout.

Thursday - Headed to the rec around 5:45am and busted out 5 miles on the TM. This was not a good run for me. Mile 4 and I lost all my peripheral vision and could only see large silver streaks. Not sure what the deal was. I pushed on, blindly, and finished out that last mile. I never exactly felt "faint" but my vision was just tunnel vision with lots of silver streaks - like lightning bolts??!!! Granted, my diet has been horrible lately. As in - not enough fuel. For almost 3 weeks I have averaged 1 or less meal per day. Combine that with me picking up my training and I think my body (or at least my eyes or blood sugar) didn't agree. An older man at the rec offered me a piece of candy while I was lifting weights. Not because I looked like I felt bad. He just wanted me to try this new candy he found at Russel Stover. I accepted out of not wanting to hurt his feelings and literally - 2 minutes later my vision was normal. Did the candy fix my problem? Strange. So I was able to follow through with my plan and this little rubber ducky dove into the water once again!25 minutes. I have noticed the lifeguards grab their elongated red floats when they see me. LOL. How embarrasing, but it's probably not a bad idea?! I showered at the rec and headed to work.

Friday - was going to be my rest day. However, I scoped out the weather for the weekend and decided if I wanted to run, today is the day. Saturday and Sunday were marked very uncomfortable for exercise outside. So around 1:30 (late lunch) I struck out for 6 miles. I felt GREAT the entire time. It was one of THOSE runs.... the kind you only get about once per month where you just feel like you can go forever. Well, my pace explains why. Total time - 56:56 :-( Oh well - it's 6 miles on the book which put me at 20 miles for the week.

Saturday - I put it off.... and put it off.... and put it off... until finally around 1:00 I forced myself into a bathing suit and went to the rec for my 4th swim. I actually could see some progress with my breathing this time. I think I've been swimming on my belly and my mouth sucks in water when I inhale because I'm not efficiently flipping on my sides. I also realized my left side is my better side for some reason. I put 45 minutes in, then headed upstairs for 30 minutes of upper body toning and some lunges around the track.

The weekend was relaxing, yet fun. I enjoyed every single minute of it!

That brings us to this week....

Monday - Lana and I used our lunch break for a 5 mile run again. It was FREEZING!!! We managed to pull out an 8:56 overall pace. Better!

Tuesday (today) - I made my way to the rec at 5:45am and ran 4 miles on the TM in 37:40, lifted some very light upper body weights for 15 minutes, then once again I forced myself to slide into the ol bathing suit and jump in the cooler than normal water. I could see some progress once again, even though I am still just a complete joke. I am doing 1 arm drills and alternating with 1 lap of swimming. Still working on the breathing as the main focus and teetering my body from side to side. Some laps will go somewhat smoothly, and some laps will be downright CHOPPY and I will get strangled in the middle of the pool and have to pause, tread water, cough it out, & catch my breath. This was my fifth swim. I am hoping by my tenth swim, I will see a significant difference in my comfort level. I am just not a water person by nature.

For the rest of the week, I'm hoping I can keep it up. Tomorrow the plan is to do a 1 hour trainer ride & 70 lunges, Thursday do a run, lift weights and jump back into the pool and Friday - I want to do a semi-long run.

For now I am going to be nice to my body and my mind and reward it with some sleep.... I earned it :-)

8 comments:

Missy said...

Mmmm, maybe you should venture back to Excel now that gas is <$2?!? If you do, be sure to let us know ahead of time so we can plan to go out for beers afterwards! Hell, spend the nite and have lots of beers.

Bethany said...

Way to go at it! Just make sure you are eating enough before and after your workouts... You are doing a lot and your body needs the fuel. Meanwhile, keep jumping in that pool! You are doing great :)

Lisa said...

Oh yeah, your blood sugar level was WAY down. Eat! :)

That's great that you are doing all 3 sports.

Frank said...

Don't get discouraged in the pool! I've been swimming for about 2 months (granted not for a triathlon) and am now just getting comfortable with my breathing. And yes when you start getting tunnel vision it means your blood sugar is dangerously low...

Jill Ann said...

Crap...you are 5 swims ahead of me girl! I gotta get in the P OO L!!

Way to go on the goals!! I agree with Missy - see the swim nazi...she will teach you all you need to know. And do call if you're coming...beer and swimming go totally together!

Michele said...

Great job on those workouts. you are going to be totally ready when tri season rolls around. Can't wait to cheer you on at GJCC!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are really doing an awesome job with all the workouts. Way to stick with the swimming.

JP said...

Holly, Alright get it your swim ON!! This year you are IN for Gulf Coast. Thanks for all the support at IMF. Great to see you out there.