Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hard workouts plus a hard loss :-(

Wednesday morning I did my 1 hour trainer ride and 70 lunges befoe work. Thursday morning was another "oportunity" to run and swim. So I took off for a 5 mile run at 5:45am from the rec. 27 degrees. Total time 43:40. I think I was colder on this run than I have been since my 12 mile run in 13 degrees last year. I was all bundled in a fleece boggin, cold gear, fleece vest, gloves, etc... I kept thinking I'd warm up naturally. I'd pick up the pace and there just wasn't an ounce of warmth to be had that day. I have to say that I was miserable the entire time. I was so cold when I finished, I tried to have conversation in the rec with a few people and my mouth and face wouldn't move to allow me to talk. :-/ The last thing I could think about was getting in a pool of water - unless it was hot tub temperature. Well of course - the water had to be cold that day... but I didn't let that stop me. After I did some upper body toning, I got in the pool and swam/drilled/floated for 25 minutes. I headed for the locker room, got a HOT HOT LONG shower and headed onto work.

After freezing my butt off on Thursday, it was hard to think about doing a 7 mile run on Friday, especially since everyone kept saying it was the coldest day all year. Oh great. My heart had a major battle with my brain trying to decide if I should go for it. I finally decided it was just worth a shot - to keep my sanity. So around 12:30 (lunch) it was 33 degrees but felt like 26. I wore a fleece JACKET instead of vest over my UA and was much more comfortable. I ended up having a really great run because I finally wore my IPOD again. It took me 1:02:13, which comes out to an 8:53 overall pace. I felt alot of peace after getting that out of the way! And for the week that gave me 21 miles of running, a trainer ride and a swim and toning was planned for Saturday.

Saturday morning I slept in and it was great!!! I don't understand how anyone could want to get up early on Saturdays. I had a half a serving of oatmeal & headed to the gym. I completed 20 laps in the pool. Here is the breakdown. Laps 1 & 2 were 1 arm drills to focus on staying on my side and my breathing. Then I got into my routine where I'd do a one-arm drill and then swim the next 2. The last 3 laps were swimming and the big news is - Lap #20 was nonstop. Meaning I did not stop when I got to the other end of the pool. I tapped the wall, turned around and kept on trucking! First time for everything and I know that seems so ridiculous but that is a huge accomplishment for me. Mainly - it is the fear that gets me.

I changed clothes and went upstairs for 40 minutes of toning. I did a dumbbell routine to work my shoulders, chest, biceps & triceps but I am only using 7 & 10 pound weights. Then I did a lap of lunges around the track (which I am feeling today) and finished up with some light incline, shoulder & rowing.

I came home & felt the spirit....... the spirit of Christmas. My tree always makes me smile :-)


This morning the plan was for me to keep my nephew, Bo while Briar and his dad went to the Titans/Jets game. Lana is in Memphis/Tunica with my parents. I went to pick up Bo at 9am this morning & as I was in the driveway I was debating in my head if we should just take Wrigley (their blonde cocker spaniel - Hattie's best friend) with us for the day. Well... we can... but we are going to eat breakfast & he will have to hang out in the car. Alright, maybe after breakfast we'll run out here and get him.... Bo chooses McDonalds for breakfast & we head onto Walmart. Just as we are trying to find a parking spot, Briar calls from his cell phone. He broke the bad news to us -- Wrigley had just been hit by a car. Oh dear..... my heart is broken. I loved him!!! He decides to come and stay with Bo & I instead of going to the game. So, we are mourning the loss of a very very special part of our family. I took them to Walmart a little later on and we did the "anything you want, you get it" game, then to Wendy's for lunch. I feel soooooooooooo sorry for them and I am so sad that we no longer have Wrigley. I'm doing everything I can think of to try and help matters. Milk & cookies always warms the soul....

Hattie is doing all she can do....

4 comments:

Missy said...

I hate it, I'm so sorry! Love my pups!

Bethany said...

Holly you rocked it this week! Plus the great 7 miles!!! Way to go. Your 21 miles this week makes my measly 7 look plain lazy ;)I'm trying...

To the Lana, J.T., Briar and Bo, I'm so sorry to hear about Wrigley. Losing a part of the family is just so hard. Nothing will ever replace his love.

Lisa said...

Oh man, I'm so very sorry. Poor little guys. Maybe Santa will bring a new puppy.

kmholt7 said...

So sorry about Wrigley. How sad to lose part of the family.