Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hanging Tough

Catching up….. Last Saturday K & I went for a 19 mile ride through Tullahoma, Moore County and back through Normandy. It was windy!!!! We had several things to attend that evening, so Sunday I found myself exhausted! I also found myself waking up from a 2 hour nap on my mom and dad’s couch with Hattie curled up at my feet. Wow – I think that is the first nap I’ve had in 6 months? It felt GREAT! Now I’m not so sure cutting out my naps was the best thing for me. I’ve always required a nap. Sounds silly, but it’s true. It makes me less grumpy :-) I ended up mowing my yard that evening. I love mowing the yard….. to me it is incredibly therapeutic. I wanted to mow every yard in my subdivision!!! Now that my lemon mower has successfully mowed my entire yard without pieces flying off! LOL. It hasn’t won me over just yet though. P.O.S.

Monday I was determined to get my week started off on the right track so I got up at 5:30am and ran a 5 mile loop through town – 8:49 pace. Monday night Briar’s all star team beat the Tullahoma all star team and I was there to see it! Tuesday the plan was to do a brick after work. The clown I was supposed to do a brick with, backed out. I went to Briar’s ballgame and watched them win 22-0. I made up for it today at lunch. I went longer and faster on this brick than I did last week’s. I rode the Staggerwing course plus a little extra for 19.5 miles & I slapped my running shoes on and finished out with a 3 mile run at an 8:25 overall pace. My legs aren’t killing me as bad this year on the bricks as they did last year. What is up with that? I have read that the aero position can help save the legs since that position uses some different muscles. I’m wondering if this is really making the difference or if I am just a little stronger this year. I’m starting to wish I had a harder gear on my bike. Now… Black Betty does happen to be a road bike. And I have a compact crank. I just noticed that most of my ride I stayed in my 2 hardest gears and there were a few times on some downhills that I couldn’t gain any speed by pedaling. I don’t think I race or compete enough to invest in a race or tri bike, especially since I do not swim. However, I do wish I could put some faster/harder gears on this bike for courses like the Staggerwing or other times when I may want to hammer.

Manchester American League All Stars play Tullahoma again tonight. Lana will be in the stands with her rock shakers and Heather will be against the fence getting her groove on & The Flash will be there with his camera :-)

Check out Hattie with her new toy that is a fake piece of chicken. LOL.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I bet it is both strength and the use of the aerobars! Great work outs... You will really do great at Staggerwing!

Lisa said...

Cute little Hattie!