Sunday, July 20, 2008

"Pain is Only Weakness Leaving the Body" Tom Muccia

I have fallen behind on my blog, once again. I have been sick with a nasty cold and at the same time, I have been able to get my workouts in. I've been doing bricks on the Staggerwing course, I've been doing all the runs I'm planning to do and trying to keep up the streak of working out 5 days per week. My favorite day of the last couple of weeks has got to be yesterday - Saturday. For 2 years I have heard of the infamous "Alto" climb, which no one who I've talked to yet happens to know the exact gain in elevation or the exact altitude. For 2 years I have shy'd away from the invitations to go "climb the mountain." I've heard about the suffering that goes on out there.... and to be honest, it just scared me. There is no other climbing like the Alto climb. And then some of these peeps are strong enough to ride on over to Sherwood and climb it as well. Which equates to approximately a 35 mile ride with somwhere between 8-9 miles of steep climbs. I just never saw that I could do it. I've wondered for 2 years what it must feel like. I've asked "So, how does 'such and such' compare to climbing Alto?" The answer has always been "Nothing compares to Alto."

So, what did I do Saturday? K & I loaded up our road bikes and drove straight over to just outside of the foot of Alto. He has climbed this many times over the years so he knew what to expect. There was another group who went earlier that morning and many of those guys got to experience it for the first time like I did. Lana, Justin, Ben, Mike, Nathan, Nate & Tim. K & I were battling with the mid-day heat.... so that made it a little more uncomfortable than climbing a mountain on a road bike should be. We took off about 1.5 miles from where the climbing begins and I told K I was scared 2 times during that mile. I was afraid of failing.... not making it. He assured me that I would make it. I had big question marks flashing in my head everywhere.

So, the climbing begins. One pedal stroke at a time. Then we approached the horse shoe curve where the REAL stuff begins - it feels like it's almost straight up. Here's where the men are seperated from the boys - for the next 2 miles there's no break. I'm out of gears - and I've got a good ways to go. Suck it up, Holly. You're here to climb the mountain. And those pedal strokes got slower... and a little slower and I continued to push, with one goal in mind. Seeing the top. I tried to keep my breathing in a rhythym as much as possible. I dropped my head several times and counted my breathing - I'd promise not to look up for at least 10 breaths. Then do it again, and again. Finally, I realize I'm at the top. My legs felt a bit shaky and my body was swarmed with chill bumps as I realized I have once again conquered a fear. I timed myself. It took approximately 19 minutes. Believe it or not, that 19 minutes felt more like 10 minutes to me, even with all the pain. I was so excited!!!! K rocked this climb as well!!!

I guess that wasn't enough, because we rode on over to Sherwood which was about an 11 mile ride to the bottom. I knew when we were descending down this beast, it would be extremely tough. The thing that is so special about Sherwood is that my grandmother lives there. And I've driven this mountain for a long time now. Never did I EVER think climbing it on a bicycle was an option. So after we stopped in to see my grandma for a few minutes, she gave me a piece of cantaloupe and we filled our bottles up and off we go! To climb Sherwood! Geez, it was so hot. This is a continuous 5+ miles of climbing right off the bat! There is no break and it is grueling. For me, it's a toss-up as to which is harder - Sherwood or Alto. Sherwood is obviously longer, but Alto could be a bit higher in grade. I had to talk myself up this one! To say that I suffered is an understatement. Because at this point my legs were toast from the Alto climb. Give those toasty legs some credit though -- because they pushed me to the top of Sherwood. To say that I felt like a million bucks when this ride was over is putting it lightly. :-) I never dreamed I could do either of these, much less on the same ride. And it was fun! Am I crazy? :-) I love the year 2008. I have done things in this calendar year that I never imagined were possible. If I can do it, anyone can. The body is so amazing. I ran a marathon! I rode a 100 mile century ride. And I've climbed Alto and Sherwood! I have to say how thankful I am for my body and mind that God has blessed me with that has allowed me to push to another level. I am also thankful for training partners and special people like Lana and K - who inspire me to give all of these excessive challenges a try.

"Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord." Martin Luther King Jr.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job! You should be so proud of yourself not only for what you accomplished this weekend, but this whole year. I think this just proves that you can do anything you set your mind to. Never be afraid to try.

:) said...

Wow...! You are such a monster. Good job not giving up on those climbs...YOU DID IT!!!

Lisa said...

What a fun ride you had, wow!

Bethany said...

Way to go girl! That is so awesome...

Missy said...

You are stronger than I am...I would have cried for sure. Congratulations. Maybe I'll 'make you' take me there some day:)