Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Serious Consideration for CMM


For the past 2 weeks I have seriously considered taking the plunge and doing a full marathon. I really don't know exactly what has driven me to this point, except that it's something I've wanted to do for more than 2 years. So far, I've completed 2 half marathons. St Jude's Memphis half and the Murfreesoboro Middle half. I've watched my sister, Lana complete two full marathons and she is currently in training for her 3rd. Wow, I'm so impressed! My friend, Michele is also on her 3rd! These girls are going for a sub 4-hour this time around. I can't say I'm going for a specific time at all. My theory is if I cross the finish-line that will be a miracle! I wanted to do a really cool marathon in the late spring-time, to minimize below freezing training runs. However, the selection is not all that plentiful. The only one I could find was the San Diego Rock n Roll. That sounds like a blast. But I think I would be in San Diego by myself! So, I finally decided I'd go with the local event and simplify it. I'm doing Country Music Marathon in Nashville, TN. Yep, that's right - April 26, 2007. I plan on using the famous FIRST training plan to get me there. Go ahead and kneel down on your knees and let the prayers begin!

So, we'll start with this week. Sunday I met Lana at the rec center for a 5 mile run. A nice, relaxing 5 miles. 9:34 pace. It was refreshing to have company on a run. For the last couple of months all my runs have been alone except for a select few. I'm getting tired of my IPOD songs. After the 5 mile run, I showered and our family all met at my parents house for 1 awesome dinner for my nephew Bo's birthday. Bo turns 6 tomorrow. Time flies.

Monday was rest. I firmly believe in rest days..... and honestly look forward to them! Today I skipped the rain and did a 6 mile run at lunch. 53:41 - 8:57 pace. Tomorrow is a rest day and Thursday I'm meeting Lana and Michele at the rec at 5am for a 4 mile run & another frigid attempt at a swim. Let's hope the lifeguards are good and awake! Swimming is my biggest challenge yet. Someday I'd like to think I could do a triathlon, but I've gotta get my boo-tay in the water and learn a stroke or two!

I'm looking forward to next week. Lana and I are wanting to hit the mountain bike trails again before work and our goal is to try and get in a weekly routine. This is great for cross training, not to mention just plain ol fun!

11 comments:

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Yay!! Welcome to the blogosphere!! You will love it.

Looking forward to many more runs together...and swims...and bikes!!

Michele said...

Stupid blogger, ate my comment!!!

Anyway. welcome! It is about time you got a blog.

So you went with FIRST?? Good choice.

See ya in the moring. Will be an easy recovery run and a fun splash in the pool.

Joe said...

Hi Holly. I heard about your new blog via Michele's blog. Welcome to Blogland.

Hmmmmn, what's with your blog's title? It looks very similar to mine...it's copyrighted you know. ;-)

Lauren Starks said...

Hi! I also followed Michele's link on over here! Good luck w/ training!

Brooke said...

Blogger ate my comment too! Must be something in the air.

Anyway, welcome to blog land.
Where did you find the info on he FIRST training program...I'd be interested in seeing it.

Benson said...

Greetings Holly. Dropped in from Micheles blog. Running and biking huh? Sounds like a Duathlon is in your future.
Have fun no matter what.

:) said...

Welcome!!!! Lana told me to come see you... :)

Trisaratops said...

Welcome!!! :) Any friend (or relative) of Lana's is a friend of mine!

Excited to follow your marathon journey!

Tri-Dummy said...

You look like your sister!

Have fun w/your blog!

Phil said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. Since you've started blogging, I predict that you'll complete your first marathon within a year. I don't know what it is about this medium, but almost everyone (me included) gravitates towards the marathon and then onto ultras. I think it has to do with group think. With everyone telling you that racing 26 miles is normal behavior, thinking about putting yourself through the rigors required to train for the event.

The R&R San Diego Marathon in June is fun. It's a relatively flat point to point course with only one climb. There are tons of people, it spreads out quickly, so you can crank.

Take care ... I couldn't imagine better training partners than Michele and Lana. Good luck.

TJ said...

Welcome to blogland!
You've got some awesome training partners up there.