Saturday, November 17, 2007

Time to retire the Asics...


Today I wanted to go long. I decided I would try for 10 miles. I actully got in bed at a decent hour - before 11pm and had a very calm, relaxing, non-eventful Friday night. I did, however, work late for the 5th out of the last 6 Fridays. That's getting old real fast! :-(

So, I woke up without the aid of an alarm around 7:15-ish. Had the urge to just "get it over with." So, I let Hattie (my cocker spaniel little girl) out and she takes care of her business while I fix myself a half piece of wheat toast w/peanut butter & honey for a little fuel. I gathered up my cold gear (42 degrees), fleece vest, gloves and ear warmer & dropped off a bottle of propel at the halfway mark of my route. I did two loops of 5. From the end of my subdivision, down Shed Rd, Right on Ragsdale Rd, Right on Bushy Branch and back to my house is precisely 5 big ones. So, off I go. I'm feeling pretty good on the first loop but right around mile 4 I'm noticing significant hip pain which has been a problem on almost every run since I ran a half marathon in September completely untrained and unstretched, etc... Not smart. I fight it off and finally get to the halfway mark, gulp down some propel, contemplate for about 4 seconds on going on back to my house since it was 1/10 of a mile from where I was and decided I'd better not think too long or I'd make that turn. First 5 miles completed in 45:50. So off I go on another lap determined that I'm going long today. Mile 7 and I'm feeling BAD. I have pain shooting from my left hip down through my left knee. We're talking.... lightning bolt pain! I suffer for about another half mile or so and finally cave in and allow myself 2 minutes to walk. I feel like such a failure when I do something like that. I take off again and at mile 8 I get a side stitch! Ugh.... this is turning into a disaster. So I let myself walk that off for 1 minute and that's IT! No more wimping out!!!! You're better than this Holly! So basically for the last mile I did the ol "Just run to that mailbox & don't think about the rest" plan. Point to point running just to get me there till I'm finally done. I walk for about 4 minutes to cool down. I stretch paying special attention to the left hip. It's hurting. I haven't bought new running shoes in almost a year. Typically I should get new ones every 6 months if not more than that. However, over the last year I've bought a house, did a huge-@ss upgrade on my system at work that consumed about half the weekends of my entire summer, and had other things such as laziness keep me from busting out the miles. I think it's definitely time to retire the asics though. I'm hoping this could be some of the problem with my hip???? Total time for 10 miles = 1:33:03 for a 9:18 pace.

I think I'll pop a few Aleve, stay off of it for a couple of days and buy new running shoes!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will find that the more miles you put in the more attention you will pay to your shoes. I would suggest keeping track of the mileage on your shoes and then changing them somewhere between 300 to 500 miles. When you start feeling some discomfort, then ditch the shoes. Then with the next pair you will know when to change them. The sad part is if you judge the life of your running shoes by the way they look or how much tread is left, you will always keep them too long.

You are doing great!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

You shoulda stopped after 5. Walking or stopping when you feel pain like that isn't wimping out...it's just the smart thing to do. I know you well enough to know that don't "wimp out" of anything! Get some rest and get that hip well.

Michele said...

oh no! You cann't get hurt now.
Take it easy, recover, and get some new shoes.

Lisa said...

Running with your hip hurting like that is insane! Uh...I think... I'll let you know after Dec 8th. :)

I cannot put more than 250 miles on a pair of running shoes. Take note of how your heels look on them and see if the insides look broken down. www.marathonguide.com has a wonderful site to log miles by day and on your shoes.

greyhound said...

Not to be an alarmist, but if the condition persists after new shoes go to a good physio right away. It could be anything from stress fractures (hopefully not) to something that a physio can set right in a few sessions by manipulating and stretching your body and showing you the right moves to balance out your chasis. Be nice to your machine.

Benson said...

Mama needs a new pair of shoes!
Do it.
If you don't have custom orthodics, the blue Superfeet are the bomb!
Good insoles are so so important.
Take it ez for the first run in the new shoes and then enjoy your miles...and miles and miles.

Steve Stenzel said...

Rest up!! Don't hurt yourself!

Christian said...

Beautiful shoes, despite their battered condition.