Wednesday, January 9, 2008

From Ten Miles to Tahoe...

So, T-minus 14 hours & K & I will be heading to the airport for a Lake Tahoe ski vacation! I am very excited. I haven't ski'd in over 3 years and I have a feeling it is going to be like starting all over on the bunny slopes. I am not going to enroll in ski school or anything, but I am concerned about my CSBA skills :-) We are staying at a ski-in/ski-out resort with an ice skating rink, bars, restaurants, mountain bike shop, apparel shops, spa and massage services, an outdoor and indoor heated pool (including lap swimming).... and the list goes on!

Yesterday I started analyzing my marathon plan. I started getting realistic about how my marathon plan was going to coordinate with my ski trip. I remembered how sore I always am after just 1 day of skiing. My plan calls for a 10 mile run on Saturday. Hmmmm.... after skiing all day on Friday - what's the odds I'll be able to move enough to even pick up my running shoes on Saturday.... much less do a 10 miler in an unfamiliar area???? Odds are not good. So, determined that I will follow my plan & not start slacking on week 1, I get up and do the 10 miler this morning at 6am. My main goal was to make this as comfortable as possible until at least mile 8 no matter what the pace, time, etc.... I needed this for self-confidence. My first 5 miles averaged between 9:15 and 9:30 miles. I dont EVEN care! I just want to make it & I know I'm gonna need all I can get after mile 8. I managed to accomplish that. I felt fairly comfortable until about mile 9. At mile 9 my achillies felt tight; however, who can't suffer through 1 mile? So I finished with a 1:31:15 - 9:07 pace. Good enough for me! Like I said, pace meant nothing to me today. I am still shocked that I pushed through the 10 miles. Now I have the luxury of 2 days rest and vacation! I've gotta do a 4 miler at some point before the week ends. I hope to fit that into my ski package!

Stay tuned for Lake Tahoe pics..... and maybe even some videos!

Goodluck to Lana this weekend at RNR Phoenix!!!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Way to take control!!! Sounds like a great 10 miler. I bet you could find a treadmill to squeeze in that little 4 miler :) Good luck keeping up your certification ;)