Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Week 1 - 8:30 pace where art thou?

16 weeks away from CMM! Wow, I am having a hard time visualizing my body making it 26.2 miles. Sunday was a rest day. It's a good thing - I stood on my feet in little pointy boots TOOO long Sat night in N'ville. So, yesterday was a 6 mile run. Believe it or not - I got to enjoy this in 70 degrees on Jan 7! No joke! OMG... it was blissful! It was awesome running in shorts and a tank in January! I kind of had a hard time though. Legs felt like they weighed 50lb each, heartrate was high, and attitude was struggling! I ran from East Middle to King's Ridge, to Country Club and made an extra loop through another couple of neighborhoods for 6 miles in 53:55 for an 8:59 pace. And I was shocked I did a sub-9 min run!!! I woulda settled for a 10 min pace!!! I noticed some tightness all through my calves, shins and achilles mainly. Last night I did about a 10 min stretching routine which alleviated it immediately. I am really lazy about stretching. But I dont think I should be anymore!!!!

This morning my plan says to ride my trainer for an hour. Alarm goes off at 5:50... and I'm not feeling it. Snooze..... 9 minutes later..... BLAH BLAH BLAH (some loud music) Hmmm... SNOOOOOZE!!! I finally start coming to my senses and realize I have a choice to make. I can lay there and stay snuggled up to my precious little Hattie-girl..... or I can jump up and cross-train like my plan suggests. I finally decide to go ahead and ride the trainer. Boy did I ride it! I worked up the best sweat yet! This time I did the whole thing in a harder gear. 1 hour mountain bike interval dvd, brewed up some drip. While the drip was festering I threw down right there in the kitchen floor and did 3 sets of pushups. I jumped in the shower, headed to work....... and man did I feel like a million bucks!!!

I love it when I DO what I say I'm going to do. I love to conquer the evil one and get in a great workout and get my day started right!

Tonight I'm packing for Lake Tahoe, and cleaning my house to have things in order for the best dog-sitter in the world - my wonderful mother :-) Hattie sure is lucky to have someone who loves her watching after things.

Looks like I've got a 10 mile run on the schedule for my long run this week. Ouch. I hope I prove myself wrong and bust it out!!! Cause my last two runs haven't felt too hot.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Did you do the country club hills? They can be pretty challenging when you haven't hill trained in a while. I'm blaming them for my fall hip issues. :P

Have fun in Lake Tahoe!

Bethany said...

Glad you are stretching!! You know I don't can't go without stretching :) You are doing great so far...Get through this week and you will be super pumped for the rest of your training. Have fun on the slopes!!!