Sunday, January 13, 2008

Havin fun in Tahoe... besides a knee injury :-(

We've had a blast so far! However, I must admit....this resort is too advanced for me. There is no given route where you can take all easy to moderate slopes. There are either steep blues or black diamonds no matter which lift you take. I am not at that level. I like to enjoy my experience instead of shaking and fearing for my life the entire time. Even riding the lifts is scary enough! I have yet to get on a lift where my legs didn't pulse from weakness! 80% of all the people out here are smart enough to have a helmet on. There's a lot of back country skiing - not as many defined slopes. I twisted my knee pretty bad on Friday during a crash. I remember thinking "OMG.... my knee is shot!" But I got up & kept going. I didn't think too much about it. It was sore a little yesterday.... nothing to keep me from hitting the slopes again though! I only had 1 wipe-out yesterday.... and it really didn't hurt - I dont think? Last night before K & I went to eat, I bent down in front of our fridge to grab something and I feel excruciating knee pain - same knee I twisted. I get up and think I can't make it down the hall!!!! Last night was not a good night... I didnt get much sleep at all because the darn thing was throbbing, pounding, thumping, SCREAMING all night! We got eat breakfast. I pop some aleve and getting up from the breakfast table was a chore. Ugh-oh....I just may be outta commision for the slopes today. SAY IT AINT SO!!!! This is our last freakin day here! K heads on out to the slopes and I stay in and ice the knee hoping the aleve and ice will give me enough relief that I can at least come down the mountain one last time. It is now 1:23 here.... and I'm no better. While it's not thumping and throbbing, putting any amount of weight on the leg and trying to bend it or take a step hurts pretty bad. I concede. :-/ I'm bored. I'm watching everyone else out of our window gliding through on skis and snowboards and I'm in this room with my leg elevated. How am I going to run? How am I going to train for CMM????? I'm hoping it's a minor sprain that will heal fast.

On a lighter note, congrats to LANA on a long-awaited sub 4 hour marathon at RNR Phoenix!!! I am so proud for her!!! What an awesome run she had! 3:56, avg pace was 9:01!!! Great job!!!!!

4 comments:

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

You look like a real pro on those skis. Except for the ice on the knee pic. I'll pray for a sprain, but no matter what it is you better get to a doc and have an MRI asap. You got training to do.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Did you notice how I used your ILOC advice? It WORKED! I swear it helped. I couldn't believe how fast the next mile marker came when talking to "the pain". That was some of the best advice I've ever been given. Thanks!

Lisa said...

How's your knee?

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I hope your knee is on the mend. Where did y'all stay?